There are a few different over the counter remedies we suggest for dealing with your vaginal inflammation. Before we take a look at these cures, let’s define what are the symptoms you will see, the causes, and the different types of vaginal infections.
Vaginitis is simply a medical term used to describe various conditions that cause inflammation or infection of the vagina. It is often as a result of an infection with Trichomonas, yeast or bacteria but it may also arise due to chemical or physical irritation of the area.
If this kind of infection is left untreated, it can cause a lot of complications in the long run. With that said, let’s take a look at the causes, symptoms and the over the counter treatments for vaginitis if any in details.
Causes of Vaginal Inflammation
Vaginal Irritation may be cause by any of the following irritants or infections:
- Menopause / Low Estrogen Levels
- Bacteria vaginosis- it is usually a bacterial infection of the vagina
- Chlamydia- this is an STI usually caused by bacteria
- Genital herpes- a sexually transmitted infection caused by the herpes simples virus
- Thrush- a fungal infection which mostly affects the vagina
- Trichomoniasis – an STI caused by a very tiny parasite
Signs and Symptoms
Different types of irritations to the vaginal region have different signs and symptoms. However, there are some common symptoms that are usually present despite the type of infection you are suffering from. They include:
- Light Bleeding – not associated with menstruation
- Itching / Burning – around the vag or mucous membrane
- Changes in Color, Amount, or Odor of Vaginal Discharge
- Dysuria (pain during urination)
- Dyspareunia (pain during vaginal intercourse)
Understanding The Individual Types
- Viral Vaginitis
- Bacterial Vaginosis
- Atrophic vaginitis
- Yeast infection
Symptoms of this type of irritation usually depend on the type of virus present. For example, the human papillomavirus is accompanied by genital warts while the herpes simplex virus on the other hand is accompanied painful sores or lesions.
Over the Counter Treatment of Vaginitis
There are some OTC cures that have been approved by the FDA.
Betadine Feminine Wash
Also known as povidone iodine, Betadine feminine wash contains effective antiseptic properties. This medication works very fast hence you can rest assured that after two days of using it the infection will go away.
- Prevents Swelling and Soreness
- Kills Germs
- Inhibits Fungal Growth
- Controls External Genital Itching
- Promotes Wound Healing Perineal Repair
- This can cause allergic reactions and vaginal irritation in a small number of women.
RepHresh claims to treat vaginitis especially the one caused by bacteria. It is FDA approved and is sold over-the-counter in the US. This product takes two weeks only to work after using it every 3 days.
- Maintains Positive pH Balance of the Vagina
- Takes Less Time To Work Than Its Competitors
- Treats Various Types Of Vaginal Infections
- Completely Odor Free
- This cannot be used during menstruation.
This is a natural and over-the-counter lubricant for treating vaginitis. It contains three percent tea tree which helps in killing the harmful bacteria in the vagina. It works by dosages being inserted in the vagina using an applicator.
For this treatment to work effectively, one is supposed to take the dosage every few days. And within one week the infection will have disappeared.
- All Natural Formula
- Promotes Healthy pH Balance
- Kills Harmful Bacteria
- There are no proven side effects due to it’s natural makeup.
This medication is ingested orally for the treatment of vaginal infection. When taken twice a day for 7 days it should stop the infection.
- Contains Probiotics For Better Vagina Health
- Discourages Growth of Harmful Bacteria
- Encourages Natural pH Balance
- Women have reported irritation around the vagina during the first few days of use. Symptoms subside after the two to three days of use.